What are the risks of delaying a hip replacement?
If your doctor has recommended that you have a hip replacement, the decision around when ultimately comes down to you. With the availability of new robotic-assisted technology, streamlined surgical procedures and improved implants, replacements have become a commonplace solution to hip joint pain in patients, both young and old.
Despite the benefits of a hip replacement, patients sometimes choose to put off surgery out of a fear of the procedure and the recovery period.
While it may never feel like the ‘right time’ to treat your hip pain, it’s important that you do take your surgeon’s advice seriously.
The risks of delaying surgery
There are risks associated with delaying your hip replacement surgery, including:
- Further deterioration of the hip joint.
- Progression of joint disease.
- Increased pain and lack of mobility.
- The possibility that less invasive methods of surgery may no longer be possible.
When is the right time for surgery?
As a general rule of thumb, you should consider a hip replacement if the joint is causing you pain and immobility that is affecting your work, recreation, lifestyle, sleep and wellbeing.
Here are some other tips to help you determine whether now is the right time for your hip replacement surgery:
- The pain in your hip keeps you up at night.
- You have tried other treatment methods over several months and still experience persistent pain and immobility.
- Your hip is holding you back from doing the things you love and affecting your quality of life.
- The pain limits your ability to sit in a chair, climb stairs or drive your car.
Importantly, patients find that their rehabilitation progress and the outcome of their surgery is more positive when they are healthier, rather than when their joint has worsened.
Your surgeon will discuss your overall health with you prior to surgery as a means of assessing whether this is the right treatment for you and when is the optimum time for the best outcome.
To help you better understand the procedure involved, one of Newcastle and the Hunter Valley’s top Orthopaedic Surgeons, Dr Stuart MacKenzie has created a free guide on hip replacements.
5 Jul 2018
Published by Default Admin